Yervant Terzian, Ph.D
David C. Duncan Professor in the Physical Sciences
Director, NASA NY Spacegrant
Department of Astronomy and Space Sciences
Cornell University, Ithaca, New York, USA.
Full Curriculum Vitae
- B.Sc. 1960 Physics/Math, American University in Cairo
- M.Sc. 1963 Astronomy, Indiana University
- Ph.D. 1965 Astronomy, Indiana University
- 1965-1967 Research Associate, Arecibo Observatory (Puerto Rico), Cornell University
- 1967-1972 Assistant Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University
- 1968-1974 Assistant Director, Center for Radiophysics and Space Research, Cornell University
- 1972-1977 Associate Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University
- 1973-1974 Visiting Professor of Astronomy, University of Montreal, Canada
- 1974 (Feb-July) Visiting Professor of Astronomy, University of Thessaloniki, Greece
- 1974-1979 Graduate Faculty Representative, Astronomy and Space Sciences, Cornell University
- 1977 Professor of Astronomy, Cornell University
- 1979-1999 Chairman, Department of Astronomy, Cornell University
- 1979-80, 1992-93 Acting Director, Center for Radiophysics and Space Research, Cornell University
- 1986 Prof. Graduate Field of History and Philosophy of Science and Technology; since 1991 Field of Science and Technology Studies, Cornell University
- 1988-1999 Director, Pew Undergraduate Science Education Program, New York State Cluster of Colleges and Universities
- 1990-1999 James A. Weeks Professor of Physical Sciences, Cornell University
- 1996- Present Director, NASA New York State Space Grant, Cornell University
- 1999-2000 Visiting Professor, University of California, San Diego
- 1999- Present David C. Duncan Professor in the Physical Sciences, Cornell University
- Interstellar Medium
- Radio and Radar Astronomy
- HI in Binary Galaxies
- Interstellar Clouds and Planetary Nebulae
- Late Stellar Evolution and OH/IR Stars
- Technology Development for the Square Kilometer Array
- US Square Kilometer Array Consortium
- National Space Grant College and Fellowship Program - NASA/NY Space Grant Consortium
- REU Support for Undergraduate Research in Observational Astronomy
- "David C. Duncan Professor in the Physical Sciences," in the Department of Astronomy and Space Sciences at Cornell University.
- Cornell University, Department of Astronomy and Space Sciences, Department Chairman from 1979-1999.
- Fields of expertise are the physics of the Interstellar Medium, Galaxies, and Radio Astronomy.
- Research Professor with the National Astronomy and Ionosphere Center.
- Member of the International Astronomical Union.
- Member of the International Union of Radio Science.
- Member of the American Astronomical Society.
- Member of the Hellenic Astronomical Society.
- Scientific Editor of The Astrophysical Journal (1989-1999).
- In 1984, he received the Clark Distinguished Award for Excellence in Teaching.
- In 1996, he was appointed Director of NASA's New York Space Grant Program to enhance science education.
- He has been awarded Honorary Doctor of Science degrees from the University of Indiana (1989), the Yerevan State University in Armenia (1994), the University of Thessaloniki in Greece (1997), and from Union College (1999).
- In 1990, he was elected Foreign Member of the Armenian Academy of Sciences.
- In 2001 he was elected a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- In 2002 he was elected Chairman of the US Consortium of Universities and Institutes to construct the Square Kilometer Array giant radio telescope.
- He is the author or co-author of more than 200 scientific publications and the editor of six books, including "Carl Sagan's Universe".
- Panagia, N., and Y. Terzian. "Ultraviolet Radiation from White Dwarfs and the Carbon Ionization in the Galactic Halo." Ap. J. 287, 315 (1984).
- Schneider, S., E. E. Salpeter, and Y. Terzian. "High- Resolution Observations of the Intergalactic HI Cloud in the M96 Group." Astron. J. 91, 13 (1986).
- Nordgren, T., J. Cordes, and Y. Terzian. "The Scale Height of the Galactic Free Electron Cloud." Astron. J. 104, 1465 (1992).
- Hajian, A., Y. Terzian, and C. Bignell. "Planetary Nebulae Expansion Distances" Astron. J. 106, 1965 (1993).
- Chengalur, J., E. E. Salpeter, and Y. Terzian. "Dynamics of Binary Galaxies II: Close Pairs." Astron. J. 107, 1984 (1994).