The Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature
is a joint effort between:
- International Astronomical Union (IAU)
- National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA)
- USGS Astrogeology Research Program (USGS-ASP)
- Working Group for Planetary System Nomenclature (WGPSN)
Visit the Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature for the following information:
- How names are approved
- IAU rules and conventions
- Specifics of the Gazetteer
- References cited
- Alphabetical list of names
- IAU Task Group Chairmen
- IAU Working Group and Task Group Members
- Sources of planetary names
- Descriptor terms
- Categories for naming surface features
- Planet and satellite names, discoverers, and categories
- Ring nomenclature
Also available is the Index of Images With Names.
This page contains a list of images on which names have been placed adjacent to features.
The Gazetteer of Planetary Nomenclature project and Website is maintained by the Planetary Geomatics Group of the USGS Astrogeology Research Program. This material is based upon work supported by the National Aeronautics and Space Administration under Contract No. W 10,185 issued through the Office of Space Science. This site is developed in cooperation with the International Astronomical Union.